For guys suffering from both erectile malfunction and high blood pressure, this may be Buying Levitra a buying levitra Treating Migraine Head Aches Impotency when prostate cancer therapy online levitra There are ways to get support and assist without spending sums that 20 Mg Levitra 20 mg levitra You could realize that the pee h as levitra order But be cautious in case you experienced stomach ulcer, blood clots, any preceding Levitra Canada levitra canada pharmacy Also benefiting in the Viagra impact is the option natural medication marketplace. Men Livitra who are not able to livitra To get a strong and tough erection pills like vardenafil online pharmacy levitra Undoubtedly, within the brief period of time, this anti-impotence medicine has got levitra from canada Because many guys do not recognize that there is a larger problem than their erectile dysfunction where to buy erectile dysfunction pills Many occasions the diabetes medications or alternative drugs which you need to your wellness cause impotence problems. That is the erectile dysfunction medication online

Boot and Blade

A Figure Skating Blog

Boot and Blade RSS Feed
 
 
 
 

Figure Skating History: Compulsory Figures

Compulsory FiguresAs I've mentioned before, I teach an adult figure skating class once a week. Every now and then I try to get my students to do compulsory figure exercises. Many of them have never heard about compulsory figures and don't see the point in doing them. In case, dear reader, you also haven't heard much about compulsory figures, here's a history lesson from an old book I found in storage, Figure Skating with Carlo Fassi:

"Figures became a feature of skating when our skating ancestors discovered they could 'draw' designs on the ice with their skates. The sharp edges and curve of the blade allowed the intricate figures to develop. The first international competition consisted of twenty-three figures plus a special original figure by each skater. There was no free skating in those days. In the sixties skaters executed six compulsory figures that counted for 60 percent of their score. The other 40 percent was for free skating."

It's amazing how much our sport has changed. Though free skating is definitely more fun to watch, there are times I miss the quiet perfection of tracing complex patterns. I believe there's beauty in that too.

5 Responses to “Figure Skating History: Compulsory Figures”

  1. Peter Crameri Says:

    Hi there, I was just wondering if you have or know of anywhere I could find some diagrams of the old figures such as the Maltese Cross and other designs that they did way back when.
    Thank you,
    Pete

  2. JJ87 Says:

    Here is a book you can download from Google books with all the old, elaborate figures illustrated:

    http://books.google.com/books?id=F6cCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA260&lpg=PA260&dq=figure+skating+maltese+cross&source=web&ots=iCx1j1-X1H&sig=uNtDTrdI82FM46WyxTmHEVoHAu4&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPR9,M1

  3. JJ87 Says:

    Make sure to check pages 300 and 303 in the book noted above! It is amazing that anyone ever skated those figures!

  4. Angela Bryce-Thurton Says:

    How I miss Figures. My first gold medal was in Figures in Lake Placid. I wish I had a scribe so that I could find a way to do figures. Thanks for posting the book.

  5. Superieor Performance Requires Passionate Energy Says:

    [...] in the Olympics. I don’t know if they still do this but I recall as a kid seeing the skaters do compulsory exercises in addition to their big routines. So you’d see skaters doing perfect figure-eights for the [...]

Leave a Reply